Welcome to the cytopathology on-line teaching resource of the Johns
Hopkins University. This program was created by the joint efforts of the
John K. Frost Cytopathology Laboratory and the Office of Medical Informatics
Education, through an educational grant from the Johns Hopkins University
School of Medicine.
- Syed Z. Ali, M.D., Professor of Pathology.
- David M. Steinberg, M.D., Fellow in Cytopathology.
- Dorothy L. Rosenthal, M.D., FIAC, Professor of Pathology, Oncology,
Obstetrics & Gynecology, Director, The John K. Frost Cytopathology
- Theresa Y. Chan, M.D., Assistant Professor of Pathology.
- Frances Burroughs, SCT (ASCP), CT (IAC), Education Coordinator.
- Joan Freedman, M.S., Senior Instructional Design Specialist
- L. Allan Grimm, Multimedia Production Assistant
- Harold P. Lehmann, M.D., Ph.D., Director Office of Medical
Informatics, Associate Professor in Pediatrics & Biomedical Information
Sciences & Health Policy Management.
- Luke Ling, Multimedia Production Assistant
This course essentially is an interactive case-based tutorial in cytopathology,
highlighting and elaborating on various practical aspects of the subject.
- Understanding the role of cytopathology in the clinical management
of the patient.
- Learning the interaction of cytopathology with various clinical disciplines
and understanding the utility of various cytologic tests.
- Recognizing normal and abnormal cells and structures based on cytomorphology.
Acquiring the knowledge to distinguish between various neoplastic and
non-neoplastic pathologic entities based on cytologic preparations.
- Formulating a clinical differential diagnosis based on the cytomorphology.
- Correlating cytopathologic findings with subsequent histopathologic
and/or clinical follow-up.
- Understanding the impact of an accurate and timely cytopathologic
diagnosis on the final clinical outcome.
- Consolidating the cytomorphologic concepts via a simplified atlas
mode in the course without going into the interactive menus.
- Medical students.
- House staff in pathology, radiology, and other clinical disciplines.
Whom to Contact
For subject, content and images:
Syed Z. Ali, M.D.
Division of Cytopathology
Department of Pathology
600 N. Wolfe St., Pathology 434
Balitmore, MD 21287
For software related and other technical aspects:
L. Allan Grimm
Biomedical Information Sciences
2024 E. Monument 1-1400
Baltimore, MD 21287
Last updated: Monday, June 03, 2002
2000 The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine All Rights Reserved