Faculty & Resident Catalog


1889 - 2014




Summaries of Catalog Data


  Below are examples of the analyses that can be done using the data contained in the Faculty & Resident Catalog.


Chairmanships

  Over the past 125 years the Johns Hopkins Hospital Department of Pathology has had 9 chairs (Figure 1). Dr. Welch was the first and longest-serving chair, with a record of 28 years that seems impossible to beat. Figure 1 also indicates the number of new faculty members and residents who came to the department during each chairmanship.


{Figure 1}

  Dividing the faculty members by the number of chair years (Figure 2), it becomes clear that the biggest departmental expansion occurred during Sanfilippo's chairmanship, with an average of 24 new faculty members per year. The year Sanfilippo started as chair, 1993, is when the divisions of Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology (then called Laboratory Medicine) united into one department called Department of Pathology.

  Performing the same analysis for residents shows that the number of residents has been relatively stable from 1958 to present, averaging between 7 and 9 new residents per chair-year.


{Figure 2}

Faculty Members

  From the opening of the Johns Hopkins Hospital (May 15, 1889) to academic year 2014-15, the department of Pathology has featured 1,022 faculty members (752 males and 270 females) (Figure 3). 908 (707 M, 201 F) of the faculty members held a primary appointment in Pathology, and 114 (95 M and 19 F) held a primary appointment in another department and a joint appointment in Pathology.




{Figure 3}

  Of the faculty members, 19 (13 M, 6F) were awarded the honorary title of emeritus/emerita by the Board of Trustees in recognition of distinguished service and achievement.

  The 908 primary faculty members encompassed a total of 1,411 ranks. Of these, 792 were in the regular ranks of Instructor, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Professor (Figure 4), and 619 in the special ranks of Assistant, Research Associate, Visiting, Adjunct, or Lecturer (Figure 5). Of the 76 Professors, 16 were hired as Professor, and 60 rose to the rank of Professor while in the department.



{Figure 4} {Figure 5}


  The faculty members (emeritus years excluded) who served the greatest number of years are shown below (Figure 6).




{Figure 6}

  When analyzing the promotions of the primary faculty members in the regular track (Instructor, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, and Professor) we identify a total of 305 promotions during the past 125 years: 120 from Instructor to Assistant Professor (Figure 7), 125 from Assistant Professor to Associate Professor (Figure 8), and 60 from Associate Professor to Professor (Figure 9).


{Figure 7}


{Figure 8}


{Figure 9}

  The average time for promotion to Assistant Professor was 2.1 years (median 1, minimum 1, maximum 15 years), for promotion to Associate Professor was 5.7 years (median 5, minimum 1, maximum 15), and for promotion to full Professor was 9.2 years (median 8, minimum 1, maximum 20).


Residents

  In January 1890, less than a year after the opening of the Johns Hopkins Hospital (May 1889), Dr. William Osler, first Physician-In-Chief (May 1889 - June 1905), proposed to the Advisory Board of the Medical School the introduction of a Residency System. A copy of Osler's report, presented at the Board meeting on January 30, 1890, can be viewed here: {OPEN AS PDF}. Osler's residency system was adopted from the German training system, which permitted newly graduated physicians to spend several years living in the hospital to perfect their training. As in the German system, early residents at Hopkins remained for several years (for example, Thayer was a resident for 7 years in Medicine and MacCallum for 10 years in Pathology). In fact, during his 16 years at Hopkins, Osler trained only five Medicine residents (Henry A. Lefleur, William S. Thayer, Thomas B. Futcher, Thomas McCrae, and Rufus I. Cole). The chiefs of the other two clinical services, William S. Halsted for surgery and Howard A. Kelly for gynecology, promptly agreed with Osler's recommendation and selected their first residents. The first five resident surgeons were Frederick J. Brockway, Hardy Phippin, William H. Baltzell, Joseph C. Bloodgood, and Harvey Cushing. The first five resident gynecologists were Hunter Robb, Albert L. Stavely, William W. Russell, John G. Clark, and Thomas S. Cullen. The Pathologist-in-Chief, William H. Welch, also agreed with Osler's proposal of a residency system since he was already using a similar type of training called fellowship in his Pathological Laboratory even before the opening of the hospital.

  The first medical school class began courses on October 2, 1893 and graduated 15 physicians on June 15, 1897 {VIEW PICTURE}. By that time, the residency training system was in place and ready to accept the newly graduated residents. The first Hopkins residents appeared in the Johns Hopkins catalog for the academic year 1899-90, the official start of the residency system at Johns Hopkins. The residency approach quickly spread across America. Many scholars consider the introduction of a residency system the greatest contribution of Dr. William Osler to medicine.

  From academic year 1899-1900 to 2014-14, the JHH Department of Pathology has trained 555 residents, 407 males and 148 females (Figure 10).


{Figure 10}


  Of the residents, 83 (61 M and 22 F) stayed on as faculty members for two or more years. To view the list of these residents, click here. Therefore, the probability for a resident of becoming a faculty member is about 15% (83/555 = 14.9%); and the probability for a pathology faculty member of having done the residency at Hopkins is about 9% (83/908 = 9.1%).