The human papillomavirus (HPV) is a causative agent for a subset of carcinomas arising from the mucosal lining of the head and neck. A better understanding of the role HPV as a cancer causing agent tumors may provide new ways to effectively prevent and treat HPV-related cancers of the head and neck. Clearly, accurate detection of HPV in the cancer samples will be necessary to determine which patients will most likely benefit from HPV-directed therapy.
The Head and Neck Pathology Consultation Service at the The Johns Hopkins Hospital now provides a very reliable test to detect the presence HPV-16, the most common HPV subtype to cause cancers of the head and neck. The powerful HPV-16 in situ hybridization catalyzed signal amplification method (DAKO) is highly sensitive, is applicable to formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded clinical samples, and permits direct visualization of viral sequences within tissues.
HPV-16 detection is a service that is now provided to referring physicians. To send a sample for HPV-16 analysis, please follow these simple guidelines:
- Specimens should be routinely formalin fixed and processed into a paraffin block.
- One paraffin block of the tumor should be selected for HPV analysis.
- If a paraffin block cannot be sent, then send four (4) unstained slides cut at four (4) microns on Chem Mate slides.
- Complete the HPV Detection requisition form.
- Complete the billing information form.
- Forward block (or unstained slides) and surgical pathology report by courier or express mail to:
1620 McElderry Street
Reed Hall Room 315
Baltimore, MD 21205
IMPORTANT NOTE - Unstained Slides Requirement
Note that all tissue (unstained slides) must be submitted on a plus charged slide. The Immunopathology Laboratory recommends a white plus charged slide that is available from Cardinal Health. The catalogue number for the white plus slide is M6159-6, however one must specify to the vendor whether to order as one gross (pack of 144 slides), one case (10 packs per case).
© Copyright 2002-2016 Johns Hopkins University All Rights Reserved