Pathology Residency Programs
Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions
The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions were the vision - and the gift - of Quaker merchant Johns Hopkins, who wished to unite in a single enterprise a threefold mission: to produce superior physicians, to seek new knowledge for the advancement of medicine, and to administer the finest patient care.
The Johns Hopkins Hospital opened in 1889, followed years later by The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Together, they ushered in a new era in medicine. Moving from laboratory to lecture hall to the patient's bedside, students and residents brought the scientific approach to medicine and received firsthand training in the diagnosis and treatment of patients. The "Hopkins experiment" changed the pattern of medical education in the United States and had a positive impact on patient care. Within two decades, the Hospital and School of Medicine were models of medical and surgical care and physician education for the nation. That distinction remains intact after 100 years.
A new era in disease prevention began when the School of Hygiene and Public Health, the third of the Hopkins Medical Institutions, was established in 1916. It was the nation's first graduate training and research institution devoted solely to health promotion among groups of people, not just individuals.
Two of the most far-reaching advances in medicine were made at Hopkins. The Nobel Prize-winning discovery of restriction enzymes gave birth to the genetic engineering industry and can be compared, some say, to the first splitting of an atom. In addition, the discovery of the brain natural opiates has triggered an explosion of interest in neurotransmitter pathways and functions. Other significant accomplishments include the discovery of vitamin D, the identification of the three types of polio virus, the development of closed-chest heart massage (CPR), and the first "blue baby" operation which opened the way to modern heart surgery. Hopkins was the birthplace of many medical specialties, including neurosurgery, urology, endocrinology and pediatrics.
Today, the Hospital, the School of Medicine, the School of Public Health and the School of Nursing constitute The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions which are located on the East Baltimore campus.
While a heritage of excellence is important, the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions do not cling to the past. In the Spring of 2013, the new 1.6 million square foot Sheikh Zayed Tower and The Charlotte R. Bloomberg Children's Center officially opened so that they can better respond to health care needs of today and tomorrow. Already, great strides have been made by our faculty in transplantation, in treating once recalcitrant cancers, and in forestalling the most common forms of blindness. The School of Public Health is concerned with health problems related to the environment and improvement in the organization and delivery of health services. Although Hopkins draws patients and scholars from all over the globe, the Medical Institutions remain committed to serving the health needs of Baltimore and Maryland.
The Hospital's domed administration building dates from 1889 and is named for John Shaw Billings, the architect, physician and librarian who designed the original Hospital.
Registered as a national historic landmark, the Billings dome stands as a familiar symbol of Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, a symbol of the many people working daily to provide the best possible care to patients, to train tomorrow's specialists in health care, and to challenge the frontiers of biomedical science through research.
© Copyright 2002-2017 Johns Hopkins University All Rights Reserved