Translocation Renal Cell Carcinoma


Translocation cancer represents the most common renal cell carcinoma in children, with overall over 1,000 new cases diagnosed yearly in the United States alone. While all of the efforts to advance our understanding of the development and progression of translocation cancer are yielding promising results at an unprecedented pace, we have more exciting leads than we have resources to pursue them. Financial support is needed to continue these efforts. Some people choose to support our research through direct donations to Johns Hopkins, while some left us money as a bequeath, and some have asked that donations be sent in lieu of flowers. Each donation helps us explore new avenues of translocation cancer research and is a poignant reminder of the human cost of translocation cancer. Importantly, this private giving has enabled us to have the opportunity to make real advancements in our understanding of translocation cancer.

Ways to Give

Those of you wishing to support translocation cancer research at Johns Hopkins may do so by sending your tax-deductible contribution payable to The Johns Hopkins University to:

Translocation Carcinoma Research—Dr. Pedram Argani
c/o Robert Kahl
Department of Pathology
Johns Hopkins Medicine
600 N. Wolfe Street, Carnegie 424
Baltimore, MD 21287-6417

The money raised through this web site is used and distributed under the direction of Dr. Pedram Argani, who discovered these tumors in 2001. The money primarily supports our research on understanding the development of all types of translocation cancer.

If you have questions about how you can help support translocation cancer research, do not hesitate to give us a call at 410-614-2428.

In Lieu of Flowers

Financial donations in lieu of flowers are a wonderful way to both honor a loved one and to help fight translocation cancer. These donations are made at very difficult times, and we therefore wanted to simplify the process. If you have lost a loved one and would like donations sent to Hopkins to help battle this disease in lieu of flowers, all you need to do is:

1. Ask the donor to make donations payable to "Johns Hopkins University" and indicate on the memo line of the check the name of the individual in whose memory the donation is being made:

Sample Donation Check

2. Ask the donor to mail the donation to the address listed above

3. Please give us the name and address in writing where you would like acknowledgments to be sent.
When we receive memorial donations, we send a thank you to the donor and we also send a complete list of the names and address of the donors to the family of the loved one.

We realize that the death of a loved one is extremely difficult. We hope these simplified instructions will help those of you who wish to honor your loved one with bequests to Johns Hopkins for translocation cancer research.

Create a Permanent Named Endowment

Individuals interested in making more substantial donations to support translocation cancer research may wish to create a permanent named endowment. These gifts not only honor and remember a loved one but they also help in the battle against translocation cancer. Named endowments can be established at a number of different levels, and the possibilities include a named research endowment (endowments generally begin at $100,000), a named research or clinical fellowship, and a named chair (Professorship) for translocation cancer research.

If you are interested in learning more about how to create a named endowment for translocation cancer research please call Dr. Pedram Argani at 410-614-2428 or visit the Johns Hopkins Rising to the Challenge site.