Translocation Renal Cell Carcinoma
Dr. Pedram Argani
Pedram Argani, MD is a Professor of Pathology and Oncology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland. He earned his MD degree from The University of Pennsylvania, and completed residency training in Anatomic Pathology at the Hospital of The University of Pennsylvania. Following fellowships in Oncologic Pathology and Molecular Pathology at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, Dr. Argani joined the faculty of the The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Department of Pathology in 1997. He received the 2007 Arthur Purdy Stout Society award for accomplishments by a surgical pathologist under the age of 45 years, and was selected as a Top Cancer Doctor for 2015 by Castle Connolly for Newsweek Health.
Dr. Argani described the Xp11 translocation renal cell carcinomas and the t(6;11) renal cell carcinomas in 2001. The Xp11 translocation renal cell carcinomas were accepted as distinctive entity by the 2004 World Health Organization (WHO) classification of renal neoplasia, while the t(6;11) renal cell carcinomas will be recognized in the upcoming 2016 WHO renal tumor classification. Following Dr. Argani's initial discovery of these neoplasms, he has performed studies to delineate the clinical behavior of these neoplasms, as well as their responses to therapy. He has developed immunohistochemical and fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) assays which can be used to identify these neoplasms in routine pathology material. He has identified therapeutic targets in these neoplasms, such as C-met overexpression and mTOR pathway activation. Through his pathology consultation service, he maintains the world's largest documented collection of these neoplasms, and has created tissue microarrays harboring many of these neoplasms to expedite further molecular characterization. Dr. Argani's laboratory is actively searching for therapeutic targets in these neoplasms which will improve patient outcome. He can be reached at email@example.com.View Select Publications from Dr. Argani +
- Argani P, Hawkins A, Griffin CA, Goldstein JD, Haas M, Beckwith JB, Mankinen CB, Perlman EJ. A Distinctive Pediatric Renal Neoplasm Characterized by Epithelioid Morphology, Basement Membrane Production, Focal HMB45 Immunoreactivity, and t(6; 11)(p21.1; q12) Chromosome Translocation. Am J Pathol 2001; 158: 2089-2096.
- Argani P, Antonescu CR, Illei P, Timmons CF, Lui MY, Newbury R, Reuter VE, Garvin AJ, Perez-Atayde A, Fletcher JA, Beckwith JB, Bridge JA, Ladanyi M. Primary Renal Neoplasms with the ASPL-TFE3 Gene Fusion of Alveolar Soft Part Sarcoma: A Distinctive Tumor Entity Previously Included among Renal Cell Carcinomas of Young People. Am J Pathol 2001; 159: 179-192.
- Argani P, Antonescu CR, Couturier J, Fournet J-C, Sciot R, Debiec-Rychter M, Hutchinson B, Reuter VE, Boccon-Gibod L, Timmons C, Hafez N, and Ladanyi M. PRCC-TFE3 renal carcinomas: morphologic, immunohistochemical, ultrastructural, and molecular analysis of an entity associated with the t(X;1)(p11.2;q21). Am J Surg Pathol 2002; 26: 1553-1566.
- Argani P, Lal P, Lui MY, Hutchinson B, Reuter VE, Ladanyi M. Aberrant Nuclear Immunoreactivity for TFE3 in neoplasms with TFE3 gene fusions: A Sensitive and Specific Immunohistochemical Assay. Am J Surg Pathol 2003; 27: 750-761.
- Argani P, Lui MY, Couturier J, Bouvier R, Fournet J-C, Ladanyi M. A novel CLTC-TFE3 gene fusion in pediatric renal adenocarcinoma with t(X;17)(p11.2;q23). Oncogene 2003; 22: 5374-5378.
- Argani P, Lae M, Hutchinson B, Reuter VE, Collins MH, Perentesis J, Tomaszewski JE, Brooks J, Acs G, Bridge JA, Vargas SO, Davis IJ, Fisher DE, Ladanyi M, Renal carcinomas with the t(6;11)(p21;q12). Clinicopathologic features and demonstration of the specific Alpha-TFEB gene fusion by immunohistochemistry, RT-PCR and DNA PCR. Am J Surg Pathol 2005; 29: 230-240.
- Argani P, Lae M, Ballard ET, Amin M, Manivel C, Hutchinson B, Reuter VE, Ladanyi M. Translocation carcinomas of the kidney following chemotherapy in childhood. J Clin Oncol 2006; 24: 1529-1534.
- Argani P, Olgac S, Tickoo SK, Goldfischer M, Moch H, Chan DY, Eble JN, Bonsib SM, Jimeno M, Lloreta J, Billis A, Hicks J, De Marzo AM, Reuter VE, Ladanyi M. Xp11 translocation renal cell carcinomas in adults: Expanded clinical, pathologic, and genetic spectrum. Am J Surg Pathol 2007; 31: 1149-1160.
- Argani P, Aulmann S, Karanjawala Z, Fraser RB, Ladanyi M, Rodriguez MM. Melanotic Xp11 translocation Renal Cancers: A Distinctive Neoplasm with overlapping features of PEComa, Carcinoma, and Melanoma. Am J Surg Pathol 2009; 33: 609-619.
- Argani P, Illei P, Netto G, Ro J, Cho HY, Dogan S, Ladanyi M, Martignoni G, Aulmann S, Weiss SW. A Distinctive Subset of PEComas Harbor TFE3 Gene Fusions. Am J Surg Pathol 2010; 34: 1395-1406.
- Argani P, Hicks J, DeMarzo A, Albadine R, Illei P, Ladanyi M, Reuter VE, Netto G. Xp11 Translocation Renal Cell Carcinoma (RCC): Extended Immunohistochemical (IHC) Profile Emphasizing Novel RCC Markers. Am J Surg Pathol 2010; 34: 1295-1303.
- Martignoni G, Gobbo S, Camparo P, Brunelli M, Munari E, Segala D, Pea M, Bonetti F, Illei PB, Netto G, Ladanyi M, Chilosi M, Argani P. Differential expression of cathepsin-K in neoplasms harbouring TFE3 gene fusions. Mod Pathol 2011:24: 1313-1319.
- Argani P, Yonescu R, Morsberger L,Morris K, Netto GJ, Smith N, Gonzalez N, Illei PB, Ladanyi M, Griffin CA. Molecular Confirmation of the t(6;11)(p21;q12) Renal Cell Carcinoma in Archival Paraffin-Embedded Material using a Break-Apart TFEB FISH assay Expands its Clinicopathologic Spectrum. Am J Surg Pathol 2012;36: 1516-1526.
- Green WM, Yonescu R, Morsberger L, Morris K, Netto GJ, Epstein JI, Illei PB, Allaf M, Griffin C, Argani P. Utilization of a TFE3 break-apart FISH assay in a renal tumor consultation service. Am J Surg Pathol 2013;37: 1150-1163.
- Smith N, Illei P, Allaf M, Gonzalez N, Morris K, Hicks J, De Marzo A, Reuter VE, Amin MB, Epstein JI, Netto G, Argani P. t(6;11) renal cell carcinoma (RCC): Expanded immunohistochemical profile exphasizing novel RCC markers and report of ten new genetically-confirmed cases. Am J Surg Pathol 2014;38: 604-614.
- Ellis CL, Eble JN, Subhawong AP, Martignoni G, Zhong M, Ladanyi M, Epstein JI, Netto GJ, Argani P. Clinical heterogeneity of Xp11 translocation renal cell carcinoma: impact of fusion subtype, age and stage. Modern Pathology 2014;27: 875-886
Johns Hopkins Adult & Pediatric Kidney Cancer Services
© Copyright 2002-2017 Johns Hopkins University All Rights Reserved